Monday, September 16, 2013

Bulletproof schools

After Newtown Tragedy, Some Schools Are All But Bulletproof 
by Craig Lemoult at NPR

Dara Van Antwerp, an armed school resource officer, will be permanently stationed at Panther Run Elementary School in Pembroke Pines, Fla. Across the country, schools have increased security after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newtown, Conn., last year.
Dara Van Antwerp, an armed school resource officer, will be permanently stationed at Panther Run Elementary School in Pembroke Pines, Fla. Across the country, schools have increased security after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newtown, Conn., last year.

2 comments:

Madie Budd said...

Personally, I think all schools should have an officer of some sort posted all the time or at least before school starts and when kids are being let out. Every bit of security/safety helps out even though not everyone realizes that. It's great that schools are considering having officers around during school hours now!

Unknown said...

This topic has been widely discussed around our country, and there is quite the range of opinions on it. I personally don't think I'd feel safe with my teachers carrying around a gun. I believe that would just scare kids. If we just trained teachers and staff member to use a firearm I think kids would be more comfortable. The teachers could just keep them hidden and use only in extreme cases. I think school should always keep their entrances locked as well. I feel safe at my school and could never imagine someone doing something too insane, but we've always got to be prepared.